Jaiganesh Nagarajan - Week 13 - Memory of Values

 

Our memories are never as accurate as when the event occurred. While they can be close, as we move on in life as people, we tend to understand more about the situation and realize the values in our experiences. While in the moment we may feel sad and wonder why we still have these memories; however as time goes on and we reflect on these experiences, we learn a lot and it adds to our evolution as people. At the same time the memory with our friends can be perceived differently. For instance at a large hangout with people, many of us will see the event differently and see different values in what you did. The following image is a prime example of different views where people see a glass of water as half full or half empty. Both people are right yet each person has different values of importance.

(creducation)

Another instance is when me and my friends went to San Francisco as a group last summer. An example of us having different views would be when we split up to go explore and eat. As we were a large group we understood that many places would not be excited to serve a large group especially as it was a very populated street. We split up into separate groups and called each other and would show what we saw and where we were going until we decided to meet up again. While we had our own experiences,  we were able to see what the other groups saw which made our memory different than theirs. While my group was at a thrift store the other was out getting food. When we look back we each have different views and understand that we all have different values on what we find important when going out and exploring. Overall the entire experience was fun and taught us more about each other. 

Comments

  1. Hello Jaiganesh! You bring up an interesting point about how memory can change upon careful reflection as time moves on. Reliving the same memory at different times in the future can result in divergent interpretations. You move forward with this argument to include the uniqueness and individuality of every person in your friend group, often considering the same circumstances in different lights. The phrases “half empty” and “half full” illustrate the situation you mentioned earlier with personality differences.

    Including the anecdote about your travel to San Francisco is a unique way to conclude your blog. I feel that you add flow to the blog by incorporating a personal experience and sharing how that supplements an opinion about memory that you associate. I want to augment your view of memory by introducing how experiences shape us to be who we are. Including more of these personal anecdotes can reveal to the audience of your experiences and help the audience understand your credible stance more realistically.

    I notice that many focus on the differences that a similar memory can create; despite the direct relationships that may exist in the memory. Some events in your past have encouraged you to pursue a certain experience during your time in San Francisco, while your friends have other experiences that may lead them elsewhere. Memory makes human life an individual experience and magnifies the differences between us while uniting us in a paradoxical manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jaiganesh, I completely agree with you with why you think we have memories. You mentioned how memories are there so we can evolve from them and learn from our past memories. When you said that, the only phrase I can remember is "learn from your mistakes". I think it really fits with your conclusion and I completely agree. I can only imagine what the world would be if people never learned from their mistakes, or if people never remembered anything. I feel like there would be constant fighting and there would never be peace. Since they would just be repeating their mistakes over and over and over again. I also agree with how, people remember different parts/events from the big event. It really shows what a person values and what they want to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jaiganesh! I found your views on different perceptions of reality to be very relatable. I think Einstein’s theory of relativity is also very similar, stating that people perceive time differently. I agree with your ideas about spending time with different people. I believe that spending time with your friends will create a more enjoyable experience for you than spending time with people you detest. In reality, all events take the same amount of time. However, we think some events go faster than others because of our opinions and views of the event.

    I noticed that the graphic your included showed two people with different perceptions of the water glass. I think that the two characters in the image demonstrate the positive and negative outlook that one can have on life. While one person may be overly optimistic about their life, another person living the same life may feel extremely depressed and pessimistic about it. These differences represent the important role that perception plays in shaping our feelings, emotions, and overall view of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jaiganesh, I think your topic is interesting as I have never thought about another person’s perspective and memory of an event, only mine. Recently, I went to watch a dance performance for my friend’s dance production. In one of the dances, I was unable to enjoy it because I could not take my eyes off of one girl that looked like she was about to forget it and subtly messed up from time to time. While talking with my mom, who also watched the performance, she said that her favorite dance was the one I could not enjoy. This surprised me, but I realized afterwards that if I had not hyper fixated on that one girl, I would have loved it a lot more. As a dancer, I am able to view the smaller details in a dance which made my memory of the performance negative compared to my mom’s. A big factor to the remembering of events is one’s background and characteristics, which can influence memory. For example, if a less talkative who likes to observe were to go to hangout with friends, they would be more likely to notice the emotions of different people compared to extroverts that would talk rather than focus on the smaller things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Daniela Marcel Week 10: The Power That Friends Hold

Daniela Marcel Week 9: What Super Powers Do Humans Have?

Patrick Chou Week #9 Power of English