Shreeya Week #11: The Power of Reading and Literature

 

Image credit

Reading is a powerful hobby. I’ve been reading consistently since elementary school, and I can’t deny that it has had positive effects on me. Whether a person is reading literature or nonfiction, consistent reading has positive outcomes for almost everyone.

First, as a medium, literature is a way to promote critical thinking and encourage discussion about the status quo, as many books serve as commentaries on society or world affairs at their times of publication. For example, Arthur Miller’s The Crucible was an apparent criticism of the hysteria behind McCarthyism and the Salem Witch Trials. Miller’s articulation of Salem’s blatant refusal to see reason correlates to the mindset behind the Red Scare, providing an insightful commentary on his society in 1950s America.

Additionally, as we’ve been taught in our English classes, literature serves as both a window and a mirror since it can reflect our own lives or introduce us to the distinct lives of others. By reading books, we can foster empathy and understand other cultures through exposure to different lifestyles and perspectives. For me, a prominent example of this was when I read Khaled Hosseini’s A Thousand Splendid Suns for the first time, as Hosseini’s vivid descriptions of Mariam and Laila’s lives showed me how, for better or worse, certain circumstances will irrevocably shape one’s future.

Finally, literature, quite simply, romanticizes the world. In some of my favorite books, such as The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, the powerful diction gives our world an unearthly feel, as if we’re living in someplace divine. The main character’s ability to see the simple beauty in human existence enhances the heart-wrenching plot of the story, creating an unforgettable piece of literature. 

Of course, there are the obvious reasons why reading improves your life, as you’re still gaining knowledge about the world. However, it’s important to note that without reading, literature’s ability to reveal shortcomings in our society and introduce us to other cultures would be left ignored. Having the patience to read a book, even if it takes you a month to get through one novel, can tremendously impact a person, and I hope more people take on this hobby in the future, as its benefits are nearly endless.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shreeya! I completely agree with you. I believe that reading is an educational and enjoyable hobby. In addition, reading is so diverse. There are so many different types of books and texts in the world. Therefore, it is almost a guarantee that everyone can find a genre that appeals to them. I think reading is often difficult in English classes because students do not get to select which books to read. Moreover, the intention for reading is focused on passing a test and memorizing all of the details instead of reading for enjoyment. However, I think reading is a great hobby for everyone to adopt. Many successful people often say that they read multiple books in a month. I often wonder whether it matters which books people read. For example, nonfiction books offer much more applicable information than fantasy books. Depending on what one is interested in learning and improving, different books may be more effective. Reading is also criticized by students because sometimes they have to take effort to understand the content. If students do not have positive experiences with English when they are young, they do not enjoy reading when they are older. If teachers work to ensure better English fluency when they are younger, students will be more open to reading when they are older. In addition, reading is essential everywhere. Students and adults are often forced to write essays and emails in the real world, so it is best for them to get experienced with reading and writing before.

    Personally, I have been fortunate enough to have exposure to good literature as a kid, so I enjoy reading. Similarly, many people in my elementary school also enjoy reading. I am grateful to the teachers and staff that worked to bring reading and books into our elementary school routine because it has shaped the way I view reading today. Moreover, enjoying reading helps students to perform better on standardized tests and district assessments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shreeya,
    I read the title of your blog and was immediately drawn to it. I've been reading since 6th grade when I first picked up the "Percy Jackson" series. I completely agree with your that reading is an essential hobby that more people should partake in. I always disagreed with people who said "reading just isn't for me". I'm a strong believer in the fact that reading is for everybody and if someone doesn't like it then they just haven't found the right book yet. Most people develop their opinions and moral standings from their parents or social media, but most of the things I believe in, books have taught me.
    I used to be really picky about what genre of books I read, but as I got older I started reading anything I can get my hands on. For the past year I've been downloading a few books on my phone at all time so I can always have a book to keep me busy if a conversation runs dry or I simply have nothing to do. This keeps me from getting tempted to go on instagram on my phone instead by having a book always handy that fits in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Daniela Marcel Week 10: The Power That Friends Hold

Daniela Marcel Week 9: What Super Powers Do Humans Have?

Patrick Chou Week #9 Power of English