Liya Abil- Week 12- Silence

 Sometimes, the things that go unsaid are the most important. There is a certain power in silence, as it communicates feelings and thoughts that cannot be expressed through words. Silence, depending on the situation, can convey a multitude of emotions: anger, love, disappointment, respect, fear and more. 


There have been countless times when I have done something wrong and my mom has gotten mad at me. When she’s really disappointed, instead of screaming or lecturing me, she gives me the silent treatment.  In those moments, I would have done anything to make her scream at me, because the silence hurts. The silence shows that her disappointment is so extreme, she is unable to form the words to express it. 


During funerals, there is always a “moment of silence” given to the individual that has passed. This silence signifies the respect and sympathy one has for the individual. It allows for reflection on their achievements in life, a chance to mourn their death, and forms a sense of unity among all those that are grieving.  





Silence portrayed in films is also extremely impactful to the audience. In Bridgerton, when Kate and Anthony were dancing with each other during a ball, their silence while holding steady eye contact heavily expressed their growing love for each other. The way the two looked at each other revealed their true and passionate feelings. Sometimes, the stolen glances and eye contact convey the emotion of love more than the words itself. 


There is a certain comfort in the silence of nature. When traveling to Zion National Park during Winter Break, my family and I went on a hike to get to the top of a mountain. When we arrived, the view was absolutely breathtaking. We watched and soaked in the view- the calm and peaceful mountains blending with a bright orange sunset reflecting on green trees. All of us were quiet, and so was the world, creating the perfect and most comforting experience. 


Although silence can be used in negative situations, there is so much noise and activity in the world, so when there is a moment of silence, it is best to savor it.


Comments


  1. Hi Liya! I found your situation with your mom giving you the silent treatment to be very relatable. I have also had experiences with people who choose to demonstrate their anger by staying silent. However, this only works if the other people care about their peers. I think that silence is very impactful whether it is used in a positive or negative way. Often, there is so much noise and chaos in the world that we rarely have time to self-reflect. When we encounter a moment or task that requires silence, most of us choose to start listening to music or chatting with other people. There are very few people that choose to sit in silence and think about their life. This retrospective time in silence can be very significant for changing our daily habits and creating a more productive life. You also mentioned the importance of silence at funerals. I believe that the silence at funerals is reflective of this quiet, grieving nature because everyone present often thinks about the dead person’s achievements and personality. They allow themselves to feel grief and sadness but also achieve a fulfillment with accepting the person’s death. If funerals were loud or quick-paced, people would not be able to receive this closure from the funeral.

    I think that there are specific times where silence should be employed, and places where silence may not be that relevant. When honoring past events and activities such as 9/11, it is important to allow a period of grieving and acceptance in silence. However, if people are at a concert or energetic location, they are focused on yelling and releasing their stress. Incorporating a quiet segment would be uneffective because the environment and people are completely diffferent. I was wondering where you expereince designated times for silence in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liya, I loved how you described silence, and I absolutely love this blog. I can relate so much with how your mom was giving you the silent treatment. There was this one time where my dad and I had one of the biggest fights yet. In the middle of fighting, there would be some moments of silence. It felt suffocating to stay in the silence. After getting scolded, my dad would just walk away and leave me there to sit and think about my actions. It was either that or he stood there looking at me waiting for a response to his question. In those moments, I would want him to keep scolding me, to say something, to fill the unbearable silence. He didn't speak a word to me for what it felt like months. When this happened all I could think about was how to make it stop. I rethought everything I did, and in the end I learned what I had to do, and what I should never do again. Personally, I think that silent treatment, helped me realize a lot of things. I think I learn a lot more about my actions when given the silent treatment. I think that the silence works better than getting scolded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Liya!
    I think your blog is really interesting because it really made me think about the impact silence can have on people. The anecdote about how when your mother gets mad at you she gives you the silent treatment and you wish she would yell was very personal and I'm glad you shared that because it made me thing. My mother doesn't give me the silence treatment, but she yells and after hearing about how you feel when your mom doesn't say anything I can't decide which is worse. I totally agree that silence is a very powerful thing, but at the same time I think words are very powerful and cruel too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Daniela Marcel Week 10: The Power That Friends Hold

Daniela Marcel Week 9: What Super Powers Do Humans Have?

Patrick Chou Week #9 Power of English