Brahmani Velagapudi #12: The Power of Culture.

 cul·ture

/ˈkəlCHər/
noun
  1. 1. the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively. 

     2. the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group.

When I was younger I never gave much thought to culture and actually went out of my way to assimilate myself into American culture while discarding my own. 
As I got older (I'm still working on it) I grew to appreciate my roots and the unique experience of being a South Indian in America. I got to have the privilege of blending together both aspects of who I am into one person.

I grew up hating that I didn't eat PB&J sandwiches for lunch but instead ate rice with curry. I think this is a collective experience of most kids with parents who immigrated from different countries.
I used to resent the fact that I had to wear long decadent gowns for functions instead of simple dresses. Then as I gained role models online who looked like me and had similar experiences I realized that all the things I had tried pushing away were actually things that had the power to define me and I was trying to shut down a vital part of myself by neglecting my culture. 

The power of culture is visible in the way a person dresses, what they eat, and even how they talk. Now, I sometimes wear small jhumkhas, which are South Asian-style earrings, with my Western outfits. I put Indian spices in most of the food I eat whether it calls for it or not. I slip phrases that only my parents use into my sentences by accident. I realized that I should stop fighting what came to me naturally and instead mold it to fit my tastes. 

Culture is often viewed as something that separates people from each other, but it doesn't have to be if you choose. You can decide how much of your culture you choose to embrace and how much of it you choose to intertwine with your environment.   

Comments

  1. Hello Brahmani! Starting your blog with a dictionary definition and elaborating on the specific meaning of the subject you are discussing is a clever technique to inform the audience of what they will be reading about. I find it interesting that you grew from assimilating into American society freely to wanting to understand your culture and valuing it as a part of your identity. I appreciate your parenthetical additions of how you are still working on incorporating your cultural identity into your life in the United States. I understand that this process can be difficult at times; however, you seem to be handling it well by moving away from complete assimilation into a blending of your cultural identity with what society may expect of you.
    You cite many instances of displaying cultural identity, some including the food, clothing, and festivals that come with portraying one’s cultural standing in public. The image that you include within the blog supplements your claim that many role models can be looked up to that she can culturally relate to. Your claim that your role model can be a culturally similar figure can be socially impactful—especially in the context of moving away from total assimilation into Western culture. I believe that the main claim of your blog is to encourage the audience to adopt many cultural values into their unique cultural identity, which is rhetorically precise, considering the multiple validating examples that you provide of your cultural identity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brahmani, starting you blog with a definition was great for both providing context and also catching my attention. The initial impulse to assimilate into the dominant culture a sentiment shared by countless immigrant children, often will give way to a profound appreciation for one's roots and the richness it brings into their lives. Your reflection on the way the power of culture impacts people's lives. It is inspiring to see how you have seamlessly integrated elements of your South Indian heritage into your everyday life, creating a blend of influences. Your story reminds us that culture doesn't have to divide us; instead, it can be a source of pride and connection. You've shown that it's possible to embrace your roots while still being part of the large community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brahmani! I completely agree that there is so much power in one’s culture. Just like you, I too tried to get rid of my culture when I first moved to America from India. Seeing all the white kids eat sandwiches and wear normal clothes made me want to do the same. I was so embarrassed bringing dosa and chutney to school because of the pungent smell and look compared to everyone’s "normal food". Going to Indian parties, I would make excuses to get out of wearing Indian clothes, such as claiming that it’s itchy. I agree that having Indian influences in the media has heavily changed my thought process. Seeing Kate and Edwina in Bridgerton wear Indian jewelry and outfits inspired by Indian culture in a predominantly white community has made me realize that it is powerful to embrace one’s culture. Because of the Indian accents in their outfits, they stand out compared to everyone and makes them look more confident. Because of them and other Indian content creators, I have started to feel more comfortable with my culture. I now enjoy bringing Indian food to school and cannot wait for any opportunity to wear a lehenga or sari. Embracing this part of me has made me more confident and therefore more powerful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Daniela Marcel Week 10: The Power That Friends Hold

Daniela Marcel Week 9: What Super Powers Do Humans Have?

Patrick Chou Week #9 Power of English